THURSDAY: Supermajority Co-founders Join YWCA for “Stand Against Racism-A National Virtual Town Hall”
Singer, Songwriter, Actor, Producer, Record Label CEO, and Activist Janelle Monáe to Give Opening Remarks
Speakers to include: Cecile Richards (Supermajority), Ai-jen Poo (National Domestic Workers Alliance, co-founder of Supermajority), Alejandra Y. Castillo (YWCA USA), Valerie Jarrett (When We All Vote and United State of Women), Vanita Gupta (The Leadership Council on Civil and Human Rights), Virginia Kase (League of Women Voters), Melanie Campbell (Black Women’s Roundtable), Becky Pringle (National Education Association) and María Teresa Kumar (Voto Latino Foundation)
Supermajority co-founders Cecile Richards and Ai-jen Poo, will be joining the YWCA USA for its annual Stand Against Racism campaign aimed at raising awareness about the impact of institutional and structural racism, and building community among those who work for racial justice. This year, YWCA USA is convening national leaders for a virtual town hall to discuss why voting rights, census participation, and civic engagement are, and have always been, essential to racial justice. As the COVID-19 pandemic disrupts all aspects of life, it has also exacerbated and put a spotlight on the systemic inequity women, and especially women of color, face in this country when it comes to equal pay, quality health care, and access to childcare.
WHAT: YWCA Stand Against Racism: National Virtual Town Hall
A virtual town hall where we will explore the issues with national leaders in the movement for racial justice and gender equity; learn strategies and tactics for effective civic engagement amidst social distancing; and motivate and inspire our nationwide networks for the work of racial justice.
- Cecile Richards, Co-Founder, Supermajority
- Alejandra Y. Castillo, CEO, YWCA USA
- Ai-jen Poo, Director, National Domestic Workers Alliance and co-founder of Supermajority
- Janelle Monáe, Singer, Songwriter, Actor, Producer, Record Label CEO, and Activist
- Vanita Gupta, President & CEO, The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights
- Valerie Jarrett, Co-Chair, United State of Women, Board Chair, When We All Vote
- Virginia Kase, CEO, League of Women Voters
- Melanie Campbell, President & CEO, National Coalition on Black Civic Participation and Black Women’s Roundtable
- Becky Pringle, Vice President, National Education Association
- María Teresa Kumar, CEO, Voto Latino Foundation
WHEN Thursday, April 23, 2020, 3:00 pm – 4:15 pm ET
Supermajority is a women’s equality organization, made up of women of all backgrounds, races and ages who are coming together to create a future where we are truly equal. Supermajority is connecting women with each other, and building on our collective power by providing the information, training and resources to take action in our neighborhoods, our workplaces and in the voting booth.
About YWCA USA
YWCA is on a mission to eliminate racism, empower women, stand up for social justice, help families, and strengthen communities. It is one of the oldest and largest women’s organizations in the nation, serving over 2 million women, girls, and their families. Learn more at www.ywca.org.